Want to make travel stress-free for your child when traveling without you? Here’s what you’ll need.

December 9, 2022 | Published by

According to AirCanada, approximately 10,000 young people travel alone each year. In order for them to travel alone, with a guardian, or even with only one parent, having a consent letter makes it easier and much more stress-free for everyone.  The purpose of a consent letter is to allow children to travel alone, with one parent or guardian, with friends, relatives or as part of a group for school trips, sports competitions, music-related trips, or religious purposes. Children below the age of 18 or 19 should carry a consent letter,  depending on the province or territory they live in. The letter indicates that the child has permission from all their parents or guardians to travel abroad even though they will not be accompanying them. 

Who can witness the signing of a consent letter?

Anyone who is 18 or 19 years old, depending on the state you reside in and what age they recognise as the age of majority, can be a witness for a consent letter. There are no Canadian requirements for a notary public to witness consent letters; however, it is strongly recommended to have your consent letter witnessed by a notary public as border officials are less likely to question its authenticity. Our notary public can be a witness to your consent letter

What documents should you bring to the notary public?

If the child is travelling with one parent, the parent not accompanying the child should be present. If both parents are not accompanying the child on this trip, both parents should be present. You should also bring the following:

  1. Identification: 2 pieces of government-issued Identification. The first one should be a photo ID with your address. This could include a passport, driver’s license, permanent resident card, citizenship card, or a first nations card. The second piece of identification could include your health card or government employee photo card.
  2. Passport numbers
  3. A completed and unsigned consent letter if you are drafting your own. You may also find copies that you can download online; however, it is important to make sure you have all the necessary information in your letter. We can provide our notary services to help you correctly draft this up.

How we can help

At Morris Notary, we can be a witness to your child or guardian’s consent letter, as well as provide you with one that fits your situation. Contact our notary public Vancouver, and our friendly staff will be happy to assist you.